Pioneer Park: Mercer IslandJoin EarthCorps and the City of Mercer Island as we work in Pioneer Park! The park is 113 acres of forested habitat, the largest forested park on Mercer Island. It is home to over 70 types of birds and 12 different mammals. It also offers the most extensive trail system on the island.
The BasicsEarthCorps supplies gloves, tools, water and snack bars. We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, forest health, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No experience necessary, just come ready to learn something new! Be sure to sign in at registration when you arrive.
This video may give you a better idea of what to expect.
For your safety and comfort please bring:
- Clothing that can get dirty (because it will!)
- Long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants)
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud (closed toed shoes are required such as work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc.NO sandals, flats or heels)
- Rain gear and warm layers -OR- sun protection (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks (to refuel)
- Full water bottle (we will have a jug on-site for re-fills)
- Travel mug for tea/coffee
What will volunteers be doing at the event?While the exact tasks can vary, our projects focus on improving the forests and parks in our local cities. Healthy and thriving forests are vital to our community because they absorb and filter rain water, produce clean oxygen, provide living spaces for wildlife, and create a place for people to connect with the outdoors.
In order to help create healthy forests, the work can include:
- Removing aggressive weeds (like English Ivy or Himalayan Blackberry)
- Maintaining areas where these weeds have been removed (weeding or spreading mulch)
- Planting trees and shrubs during the rainy season (often ~Oct.-Feb.)
GroupsIf you are coming as a group, the group leaders are expected to have an active role in our events. After registering your group, please get in touch with email@example.com to make sure everything is in order. On the day of the event, make yourself known to the staff (in bright yellow vests) and arrive early in order to help guide your group members.
Youth PolicyYouth under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or responsible adult. All volunteers between the ages of 14 and 17 that are not with a parent or guardian must bring a filled out Youth Waiver the day of the event.
Youth and school groups are welcome to attend; leaders should contact the Volunteer Team to take care of all necessary preparations.
DirectionsMeeting Location: We will be meeting at the NW corner at the intersection of 84th Ave SE and SE 68th St. Look for legal parking around this intersection or head east on 68th and park in the shopping center lot.
The bus can be tricky on Saturdays, be sure to check: www.tripplanner.metrokc.gov.
- From I-5, head eastbound on I-90
- From I-90, take the Island Crest Way Exit.
- The road curves right and becomes Island Crest Way.
- Stay on Island Crest Way until SE 68th St, Pioneer Park.
- Turn right at the four-way stop sign and the turn right on 84th Ave SE.
- There is parking in dirt pull-offs along 84th Ave SE.