Green Tacoma Day at Tahoma Salt Marsh: TacomaJoin us as we work in this wetland along the Ruston Way shoreline! Completed in 2004, this project through the City of Tacoma helped establish a salt marsh and mudflat to provide nesting, refuge and feeding opportunities for a variety of fish and birds. Almost 2 acres were excavated and a channel was dug in order to let water move more naturally, making it a unique site to visit.
The BasicsGREEN TACOMA DAY
Volunteer and Help Keep Tacoma Green!
Volunteer at one of 14 sites throughout Tacoma on Green Tacoma Day! Volunteers will plant trees, remove invasive weeds, connect with neighbors, and provide a helping hand to our natural areas!
No experience is necessary, so bring along your whole family or friends for a fun morning of service.
We will supply gloves, tools, water and snack bars. We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, forest health, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No experience necessary, just come ready to learn something new! Be sure to sign in at registration when you arrive.
For your safety and comfort please bring:
- Clothing that can get dirty (because it will!)
- Work gloves
- Long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants)
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud (closed toed shoes are required such as work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc.NO sandals, flats or heels)
- Rain gear and warm layers -OR- sun protection (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks (to refuel)
- Full water bottle (we will have a jug on-site for re-fills)
- Travel mug for tea/coffee (Thanks to Starbucks for providing coffee!)
GroupsIf you are coming as a group, the group leaders are expected to have an active role in our events. Please get in touch with your site leader before the event to make sure everything is in order. On the day of the event, make yourself known to the staff and arrive early in order to help guide your group members.
DirectionsADDRESS: 1741 N. Schuster Parkway, Tacoma.
Located adjacent to City of Tacoma’s Chinese Reconciliation Park
- From I5 south take exit 133 towards City Center
- Merge onto I-705 N
- Exit to the left onto Shuster Parkway
- Cross over the RR tracks and merge onto Ruston Way
- As you come down off the overpass, take the first left into what looks like a parking lot
- Drive south (left) through the parking lot and continue onto the road beyond the lot
- Pass under the overpass and the site will be on your left just past the Chinese Reconciliation Park
- Park on the gravel strip alongside the property