Fern Hill: South TacomaJoin EarthCorps and the City of Tacoma as we begin restoration work in the Fern Hill Open Space!
The BasicsEarthCorps is working with the City of Tacoma's Open Spaces program to lead volunteer events at several open space sites around Tacoma. We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, forest health, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No experience necessary, just come ready to learn something new!
!! NEW SAFE START/COVID-19 PROTOCOLS – PLEASE READ BELOW !!
For your safety and comfort please bring:!! NEW SAFE START/COVID-19 PROTOCOLS !!
As part of Governor Inslee’s Safe Start plan, EarthCorps is restarting outdoor volunteer events in alignment with Phase 2 in Tacoma. EarthCorps’ top priority remains keeping staff, corps members, stewards and our extended community healthy and safe during this public health crisis. We know you are excited to get back to restoring our public open spaces, so we have implemented some new procedures and protocols to help you do so safely.
Here is what you can expect for our restart of Tacoma Open Space Program volunteer events:
- Smaller events – In keeping with the Governor’s Safe Start plan, events will be limited to five volunteers per event. No exceptions.
- Pre-registration will be required for all events. No walk-up/last-minute volunteering at this time. We need to know what to be prepared for, thank you for understanding. Register as usual at www.earthcorps.org/volunteer
- Digital QR Code Sign In - Day of event sign-in is now digital. No more pen and paper. Once you arrive, locate the QR Code Sign In, scan the event QR code with your smart mobile phone and check submit to sign yourself in. If you don’t have a phone your event lead will sign you in digitally. Again, you must be pre-registered to sign in.
- Face Masks Required - You will be required wear a mask to the event and wear it during the event at all times. Appropriate masks must fit snugly over the nose and mouth. While cloth masks are recommended, disposable masks are allowed as well as plastic face shields. No bandanas.
- Bring your own work gloves. We will not be supplying work gloves at this time to protect our staff and you. Volunteers must have gloves to volunteer. Please bring your own gloves for your comfort and safety. Leather, cow hide, or cloth/rubber work gloves work best.
- Social-distancing during the event. Work will be organized around maintaining a minimum distance between persons of at least 6 feet at all times. Please respect other volunteers and staff and maintain social distancing at all times while volunteering.
- Hand-washing, tool sharing and tool sanitizing – Volunteers will be required to wash their hands before and after using the restroom, and during the event as needed. Hand sanitizer will also be provided at the event. Volunteers will be assigned tools for their exclusive use during the event and tool sharing will not be allowed unless volunteers are members of the same household or unless that tool has been sanitized by your event lead. Common use tools will be sanitized between each use.
- Hospitality at the event – while we are glad you are with us, we will no longer be providing water, shared coffee, snacks, during our events, for your protection. We recommend you bring your own water and snacks to the event and do not share these with other volunteers. Please be sure to come prepared and bring all that you may need to the event.
Plan for your volunteer event
Make sure you pre-register for your volunteer opportunity. If you are under 18 years old, make sure your parent/guardian completes your waiver which is required in order for you to participate.
Day of Event
Please take your temperature before you leave the house. If you have a temperature of 100.4 or more, feel sick, or have any of the symptoms below, please stay home.
At the start of the event, volunteers will need to attest that they are not currently experiencing, nor have they experienced any of the following symptoms in the last few days:
- shortness of breath
- muscle aches
- sore throat
- shaking with chills
- loss of taste or smell
- any other common COVID-19 symptoms identified by the CDC;
- and that no one in your household is suspected of having or has been diagnosed with COVID-19;
- and that, to the best of your knowledge, you have not been exposed to someone within the previous 10 days who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
FOR YOUR COMFORT…
- Wear long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants) and clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty or possibly damaged – because it will!
- Wear sturdy, closed toed shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty and that won’t collect weed seeds (such as work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc. Nylon laces are preferred over cotton laces. Note: closed-toed shoes are required. No sandals, flip-flops, flats or heels).
- Bring rain gear and warm layers -OR- sun protection as needed.
- Bring your own water and snacks (to refuel).
- Bring your own work gloves.
What will volunteers be doing at the event?While the exact tasks can vary, our projects focus on improving the forests and parks in our local cities. Healthy and thriving forests are vital to our community because they absorb and filter rain water, produce clean oxygen, provide living spaces for wildlife, and create a place for people to connect with the outdoors.
In order to help create healthy forests, the work can include:
- Removing aggressive weeds (like English Ivy or Himalayan Blackberry)
- Maintaining areas where these weeds have been removed (weeding or spreading mulch)
- Planting trees and shrubs during the rainy season (often ~Oct.-Feb.)
GroupsWe are not accepting groups at this time.
Youth PolicyYouth under the age of 18 must fill out the digital waiver during registration. The waiver must then be verified digitally by the parent, guardian or adult responsible for the youth.
DirectionsMeet at S 82nd St & Tacoma Ave S. (Note: Fern Hill is adjacent to Ryan's Park just to the NE, however, the Fern Hill site is only accessible from 82nd St.)
This volunteer event is currently full! Please contact The Volunteer Team if you are still interested in joining.