Environmental Restoration Workshop: North SoundAs part of our Puget Sound Steward program, we are offering workshops to give community members a deeper knowledge of environmental restoration. This workshop is open to anyone interested in learning more, with hopes that participants will keep coming out to volunteer with us!
This workshop will begin with an in-class seminar where participants will learn and discuss basic ecology and restoration concepts, followed by some hands-on practice at Japanese Gulch.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Explain the 4 phases of restoration
- Discuss the relationship between ecological structures and functions
- Detail the life cycles of our local forests
- Use common restoration tools
- Identify common invasive weeds and the best techniques for removal
- Begin planning their own restoration project if they choose to become a steward
FOR YOUR COMFORT, PLEASE BRING:
- Clothing that can get dirty
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud (closed toed shoes are required: work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, running shoes or similar)
- Rain gear and warm layers (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks
- Full water bottle
- Travel mug for tea/coffee