Green Tacoma Day at Rhone-Poulenc Salt Marsh (Planting)Join EarthCorps, the City of Tacoma and 350 Tacoma as we begin native planting at Rhone-Poulenc Salt Marsh. This 2- acre site is accessible via a small parking lot and access sidewalk on Port of Tacoma Rd. next to WUT. It replicates salt marsh habitat that was once more prolific in the Salish Sea prior to industrialization and traditionally important habitat for salmon. 350 Tacoma has enthusiastically stewarded this site since January and we are excited about putting plants in the ground after nine months of hard work by many volunteers. Come out and help us restore and enjoy this little oasis in the middle of the port!
GREEN TACOMA DAY
Connect with nature Saturday, October 13th!
10:00 am – 1:00 pm
Tacoma’s parks and open spaces need your help! These natural resources provide people with clean air, clean water, and access to nature. Keeping them healthy is a community effort. Join hundreds of volunteers this fall as we work to keep Tacoma green and volunteer at one of ten different event sites around the city. Volunteers will pull invasive weeds, remove litter, and plant and mulch trees and shrubs.
It’s easy to volunteer!
Register your group, family, or as an individual for a fun morning of service. We will supply gloves, tools, water and snack bars. We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, forest health, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No experience necessary, just come ready to have fun and learn something new!
Be sure to sign in at registration when you arrive.
For your safety and comfort please bring:
- Clothing that can get dirty (because it will!)
- Work gloves
- Long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants)
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud (closed toed shoes are required such as work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc.NO sandals, flats or heels)
- Rain gear and warm layers -OR- sun protection (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks (to refuel)
- Full water bottle (we will have a jug on-site for re-fills)
- Travel mug for tea/coffee (Thanks to Starbucks for providing coffee!)
GroupsIf you are coming as a group, the group leaders are expected to have an active role in our events. Please get in touch with your site leader before the event to make sure everything is in order. On the day of the event, make yourself known to the staff and arrive early in order to help guide your group members.
DirectionsApproximate Address: 1747 Port of Tacoma Road
Tacoma, WA 98421.
- Carpooling recommended.
- Additional on-street parking across the street on Maxwell Way.