Camp Long: West Seattle
Join EarthCorps and the Green Seattle Partnership as we continue to work in the forest of Camp Long. Camp Long is one of Seattle's best kept secrets: located in West Seattle, this 68 acre park offers visitors an opportunity to enjoy nature, hike in the forest, camp overnight in rustic cabins, rock climb, and learn about Seattle's natural history.
The BasicsEarthCorps supplies gloves, tools, water and snack bars. We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, forest health, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No experience necessary, just come ready to learn something new! Be sure to sign in at registration when you arrive.
This video may give you a better idea of what to expect.
For your safety and comfort please bring:
- Clothing that can get dirty (because it will!)
- Long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants)
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud (closed toed shoes are required such as work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc.NO sandals, flats or heels)
- Rain gear and warm layers -OR- sun protection (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks (to refuel)
- Full water bottle (we will have a jug on-site for re-fills)
- Travel mug for tea/coffee
What will volunteers be doing at the event?While the exact tasks can vary, our projects focus on improving the forests and parks in our local cities. Healthy and thriving forests are vital to our community because they absorb and filter rain water, produce clean oxygen, provide living spaces for wildlife, and create a place for people to connect with the outdoors.
In order to help create healthy forests, the work can include:
- Removing aggressive weeds (like English Ivy or Himalayan Blackberry)
- Maintaining areas where these weeds have been removed (weeding or spreading mulch)
- Planting trees and shrubs during the rainy season (often ~Oct.-Feb.)
GroupsIf you are coming as a group, the group leaders are expected to have an active role in our events. Please get in touch with email@example.com before the event to make sure everything is in order. On the day of the event, make yourself known to the staff (in bright yellow vests) and arrive early in order to help guide your group members.
Youth PolicyYouth under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or responsible adult. All volunteers between the ages of 14 and 17 that are not with a parent or guardian must bring a filled out Youth Waiver the day of the event.
Youth and school groups are welcome to attend; leaders should contact the Volunteer Team to take care of all necessary preparations.
The entrance to Camp Long is located at the intersction of SW Dawson St and 35th Ave SW. From there, look for EarthCorps signs and follow them to walk down to our registration tent.
By Car from I-5:
- Take the West Seattle Bridge (exit 163A) and proceed over the bridge into West Seattle.
- Just after the bridge turn left on 35th Ave SW.
- Just after the first large hill turn left onto SW Dawson St. This will take you into the park.
- Closest bus stop: 35th Ave SW & SW Dawson St.
- Use the metro trip planner to find your route: http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/
This volunteer event is currently full! Please contact The Volunteer Team if you are still interested in joining.