Yes Farm: Central Seattle
Join the Black Farmers Collective and EarthCorps as we kick off a new season of work at Yes Farm! A developing urban farm and innovation center near Yesler Community Center, the goal of YES Farm is to improve community health, both mental and physical, by growing food and rooting an African American presence in a gentrifying Seattle.
EarthCorps supplies gloves, tools, water and snack bars. We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No experience necessary, just come ready to learn something new! Be sure to sign in at registration when you arrive.
For your safety and comfort please bring:
- Clothing that can get dirty (because it will!)
- Long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants)
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud (closed toed shoes are required such as work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc. NO sandals, flats or heels)
- Rain gear and warm layers -OR- sun protection (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks (to refuel)
- Full water bottle (we will have a jug on-site for re-fills)
- Travel mug for tea/coffee
- If you have a favorite pair of gloves, feel free to bring them (otherwise we're happy to provide a pair)
The event will happen rain or shine!
What will volunteers be doing at the event?
While the exact tasks can vary, our current projects on the farm are focused on finishing construction of a new green house and removing invasive weeds in preparation for spring.
GroupsIf you are coming as a group, the group leaders are expected to have an active role in our events. After registering your group, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure everything is in order. On the day of the event, make yourself known to the staff (in bright yellow vests) and arrive early in order to help guide your group members.
Youth under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or responsible adult. All volunteers between the ages of 14 and 17 that are not with a parent or guardian must bring a filled out Youth Waiver the day of the event.
Youth and school groups are welcome to attend; leaders should contact the Volunteer Team to take care of all necessary preparations.
DirectionsApproximate address: Yesler Way and S Washington St
Look out for canopy tents and orange EarthCorps signs for the meeting place
Street parking is available throughout the neighborhood, but the site can also be easily reached by the street car or # 27 bus.