Green Tacoma Day at Kia-Kaha Restoration Area, TCCCelebrate Green Tacoma Day with Tacoma Community College at our Kia-Kaha Restoration site. Volunteers are needed to help remove litter and invasive plants from the site.
Kia Kaha is was restored over a decade ago as a collaborative project with UWT. TCC continues to maintain the area for academic and aesthetic purposes. Several or TCC's science classes visit the site each quarter to learn about invasive species, native species, restoration, and ecosystem services.
No minimum age - Youth Waivers available at registration. All children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult
For more information on this project, contact Kristen Harrison at 253-460-4359 or at email@example.com.
GREEN TACOMA DAY
Connect with nature Saturday, October 12th!
10:00 am – 1:00 pm
Tacoma’s parks and open spaces need your help! These natural resources provide people with clean air, clean water, and access to nature. Keeping them healthy is a community effort. Join hundreds of volunteers this fall as we work to keep Tacoma green and volunteer at one of fourteen event sites around the city. Volunteers will plant and mulch trees and shrubs, pull invasive weeds, and remove litter.
It’s easy to volunteer!
Register your group, family, or as an individual for a fun morning of service. We will supply gloves, tools, water and snacks. We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, forest health, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No experience necessary, just come ready to have fun and learn something new!
Be sure to sign in at registration when you arrive.
For your safety and comfort please bring:
- Clothing that can get dirty (because it will!)
- Work gloves
- Long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants)
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud (closed toed shoes are required such as work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc.NO sandals, flats or heels)
- Rain gear and warm layers -OR- sun protection (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks (to refuel) (We will also have snacks provided by Marlene's Market & Deli!)
- Full water bottle (we will have a jug on-site for re-fills)
- Travel mug for tea/coffee (Thanks to Starbucks for providing coffee!)
GroupsIf you are coming as a group, the group leaders are expected to have an active role in our events. Please get in touch with your site leader before the event to make sure everything is in order. On the day of the event, make yourself known to the staff and arrive early in order to help guide your group members.
DirectionsMeeting location: Meet at the front entrance to building 15 of Tacoma Community College main campus. 6501 S 19th St Tacoma WA 98466.
Parking: Parking available on campus. See site coordinator for permits.