Fall Planting at Island Crest Park: Mercer IslandJoin EarthCorps and the City of Mercer Island as we work in this local park! This forested ravine hosts lush plants, areas for wildlife to live, wetlands, and walking trails. This project is part of a larger effort to aid Mercer Island Parks, and we appreciate your help.
The BasicsEarthCorps supplies gloves, tools, water and snack bars. We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, forest health, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No experience necessary, just come ready to learn something new! Be sure to sign in at registration when you arrive.
This video may give you a better idea of what to expect.
For your safety and comfort please bring:
- Clothing that can get dirty (because it will!)
- Long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants)
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud (closed toed shoes are required such as work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc.NO sandals, flats or heels)
- Rain gear and warm layers -OR- sun protection (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks (to refuel)
- Full water bottle (we will have a jug on-site for re-fills)
- Travel mug for tea/coffee
- If you have a favorite pair of gloves, feel free to bring them (otherwise we're happy to provide a pair)
What will volunteers be doing at the event?While the exact tasks can vary, our projects focus on improving the forests and parks in our local cities. Healthy and thriving forests are vital to our community because they absorb and filter rain water, produce clean oxygen, provide living spaces for wildlife, and create a place for people to connect with the outdoors.
In order to help create healthy forests, the work can include:
- Removing aggressive weeds (like English Ivy or Himalayan Blackberry)
- Maintaining areas where these weeds have been removed (weeding or spreading mulch)
- Planting trees and shrubs during the rainy season (often ~Oct.-Feb.)
GroupsIf you are coming as a group, the group leaders are expected to have an active role in our events. After registering your group, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure everything is in order. On the day of the event, make yourself known to the staff (in bright yellow vests) and arrive early in order to help guide your group members.
Youth PolicyYouth under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or responsible adult. All volunteers between the ages of 14 and 17 that are not with a parent or guardian must bring a filled out Youth Waiver the day of the event.
Youth and school groups are welcome to attend; leaders should contact the Volunteer Team to take care of all necessary preparations.
Approximate Address: 5800 Island Crest Way, Mercer Island, WA 98040
- Traveling by bus on Saturdays can be tricky, so be sure to check out Metro Trip Planner for current routes: http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/
- From I-5, head eastbound on I-90.
- From I-90, take the Island Crest Way exit (Exit 7B) on Mercer Island.
- Follow Island Crest Way for 2.5 miles, go past Island Park Elementary School and turn right into Island Crest Park.
- Light gray and green park sign is easy to miss so keep your eyes peeled right as you are passing the elementary school.
- Park in the main parking lot, and look for our registration table.