Island Crest Park: Mercer IslandJoin EarthCorps and the City of Mercer Island as we work in this local park! This forested ravine hosts lush plants, areas for wildlife to live, wetlands, and walking trails. This project is part of a larger effort to aid Mercer Island Parks, and we appreciate your help.
We know you are excited to get back to restoring our public green spaces so we implemented some new procedures and protocols to help you safely do so! You can read them here and watch this video to do your part to volunteer responsibly.
We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, forest health, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No experience necessary, just come ready to learn something new!
For your safety and comfort please bring:
- Personal face mask and gloves if you have them
- Clothing that can get dirty (because it will!)
- Long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants)
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud (closed toed shoes are required such as work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc.NO sandals, flats or heels)
- Rain gear and warm layers -OR- sun protection (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks (to refuel)
- Full water bottle (we will have a jug on-site for re-fills)
What will volunteers be doing at the event?
While the exact tasks can vary, our projects focus on improving the forests and parks in our local cities. Healthy and thriving forests are vital to our community because they absorb and filter rain water, produce clean oxygen, provide living spaces for wildlife, and create a place for people to connect with the outdoors.
In order to help create healthy forests, the work can include:
- Removing aggressive weeds (like English Ivy or Himalayan Blackberry)
- Maintaining areas where these weeds have been removed (weeding or spreading mulch)
- Planting trees and shrubs during the rainy season (often ~Oct.-Feb.)
We are not coordinating group registration at this time. Feel free to have all interested parties sign up individually as available spots permit! If you have any questions please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. All volunteers between the ages of 14 and 17 that are not with a parent or guardian must submit a digital Youth Waiver before the day of the event.
The digital waiver process is first initiated when the youth participant registers online. After the youth participant enters parent/guardien details, the digital waiver will be sent to the parent/guardian for two part authentication.
- Traveling by bus on Saturdays can be tricky, so be sure to check out Metro Trip Planner for current routes: http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/
- From I-5, head eastbound on I-90.
- From I-90, take the Island Crest Way exit (Exit 7B) on Mercer Island.
- Follow Island Crest Way for 2.5 miles, go past Island Park Elementary School and turn right into Island Crest Park.
- Light gray and green park sign is easy to miss so keep your eyes peeled right as you are passing the elementary school.
- Park in the main parking lot, and look for our registration table.